Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Thing #18

States of Matter

Simple Graphical Multiplication Trick

Coolest Farm Town Designs

Like most people who are Internet junkies, I have spent a fair amount of time on youtube already. I watch videos of America's Got Talent or American Idol when I miss an interesting episode on television. I watch quite a few of those youtube videos that people sent around on email: ventriloquists, funny pets, cute babies, etc. This summer I learned how to cut a deck of cards with one hand and shuffle like a dealer from videos on youtube. The faculty of my school even has a video on youtube: Range Rocks! The only problem I really have with youtube is that it's difficult to show videos from this website in class. I don't like to override the filter on the district's internet, so I've tried downloading a video and taking it to school on my flashdrive. Doesn't really work all that well.

I had never spent much time on teachertube until tonight. Overall I was disappointed with the quality of the videos that I looked at. Most of them had a very amateurish and home-made quality. I don't think my students would be very interested in watching a teacher stand in front of a dry erase board and explaining a concept. They could just watch me do that. I saw several videos that students had created. If the students read their texts fluently and with expression, the videos might have merit for the listeners. I realize that the students who create the videos are engaged in a worthwhile learning activity, but the videos need to be quality in order to have merit for the audience also. I am interested in doing some more searching around on the pictures on teachertube. Those pictures are all more of an academic nature and are "safe" for the classroom.

1 comment:

  1. It's really ok for you to enter your override if you feel a video is appropriate for your classroom! It's there for the teachers to use.

    ReplyDelete