Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Thing #7

Commenting on blogs. Not my favorite things. I fall utterly and completely into the category of "lurkers" on the web who read but never comment. I prefer to fly under the radar.

Students, though, will be disappointed if people don't respond to their blogs, so I think going over the guidelines mentioned in 10 Techniques to Get More Comments on Your Blog with students would be a good idea.

Darren Rowse writes in his blog article ProBlogger Comments Policy, "My advice to those commenting on blogs (not just mine) is that in a sense you’re visiting someone else’s home when you leave a comment. Comments have the ability to build up our tear down your reputation. They are a permanent record of who you are and what you stand for - so take care - be gracious - make sure they add value."

1 comment:

  1. From the readings we did on commenting, I picked up the same general ideas you did. Basically, commenting on blogs has the same responsibility as just being a "polite and considerate" guest or colleague. Just as in person, if you want to continue a conversation with someone, it is best not to offend them or turn them off to your comments. Discussion from a variety of viewpoints is what helps us learn about life in general. I look forward to dialoging with you.

    ReplyDelete