Friday, October 30, 2009

Thing #11



Looking for me? Try Santorini Island, Greece. Although I have had the great experiences to travel a good many places, I have not been to Greece. Thanks to gbastistini for the use of his picture from Flickr.

I am just IN LOVE with Flickr. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I think I am very good about stopping a lesson to find a picture or video to support my students understanding of vocabulary or concepts we are working on. Flickr simply provides this teacher with an unlimited source of images to help promote student learning.

I chose to search for pictures on landforms. Students have difficulty understanding some of the landforms that they only see drawing of in their social studies books. I am always trying to find actual pictures that show the landforms in a natural setting-not the contrived settings from students' textbooks.

I LOVE the idea of using pictures from Flickr to reiterate the meanings of vocabulary words. We learn four new words a week, and I make up the flipchart with the words for the gradelevel. So, now I will start including pictures and videos from Flickr or CC in the flipcharts.

Can't wait to use Flickr more. On a negative note, I did come across (quite accidentally) a few pictures with topless women. I was innocently searching for pictures of Greece, and some of those pictures came up. Moral of the lesson--don't search for pictures in front of the class. Prepare before class starts.

1 comment:

  1. Good idea to search ahead of time! If students are using we sometimes just have to make it a teaching moment about the ethical use and that sometimes you come across bad stuff.

    ReplyDelete