Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Thing #2 - Web 2.0

http://123.writeboard.com/165d0aec0d4a84615/v/new (password: andrea)

Confessions from a 20th Century Learner...
Totally excited about the concept of the writeboard. Obviously signed up for one to use as I made notes on the web 2.0 articles and videos. Set up whiteboard in a separate window. Ready to go. Went back to original window to read article and watch videos. Got interested in information from both and started making copious notes. Finished video and decided to go back to yet another open window to check facebook page. Doing this, noticed the empty writeboard. I had taken all my notes on a piece of paper with a pen. Old habits die hard and/or new habits are hard to be born.

Kids: game 3 1/2 hrs a week, watch tv 16 1/2 hrs a week, use computer 5 1/2 hrs a week
Parents email. Kids test, IM, blog

76% of teachers have never used wikis, blogs, podcasts
14% of teachers let students create with technology once a week. 63% never do.
We must engage these 21 century learners using technology that they are well versed in.

I understand the endless possibilities associated with using web for learning. Feeling mightly restrained by the mountain of district/state curriculum.

I struggle with what to leave out in order to put more "stuff" in--no matter how good the "stuff" is, there still has to be something subtracted when anything is added.

I am feeling conflicted about using the time to maintain a blog when so few of my students and their have computers at home.

Wondering the use in creating a wiki for students to use when they can't use the wiki because they don't have email accounts.

Totally onboard with podcasting (have already done it). Like the idea of using podcasts to demonstrate new math strategies.

3 comments:

  1. I love the confession about where you were taking your notes. Since I'm not as versed in technology, I would probably take notes on paper any way to get my thoughts organized.

    I wonder how far down the road it will be before we check out computers for "homework". I've read about schools that have done this. I want to know if this has students learning.
    How do you use podcasting for math strategies? This sounds like a great way to add more interest to what the students must learn and demonstrate in math.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also feel the pressure of "how do I add new things when I can't take anything out". As an English teacher, I wish I could have my students do something alternative to a pen and paper essay. We can't even require them to type them up since a lot of our students do not have computers at home and we aren't allowed to use class time to have them type them up. Haven't tried the podcast thing yet. Did you do it in class?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if the stats have gone down any on the stats you reported. 76% of teachers not using blogs, wikis or podcasts seems very high. I wonder what it is here in our district?

    ReplyDelete